Home / Custodianship

Under Canadian law, any BC student who is under 19 years old is a minor, someone who is not allowed to live by himself; he must be cared for by a parent or a legal guardian. The school suggests that the parents attempt to find a relative or friend to serve as a legal guardian but, if one cannot be found, Columbia Academy will help to find a suitable legal guardian.

When a minor student enters Canada, if he is not accompanied by a parent who will look after him, he will need to give the Visa Officer a notarized document to prove that arrangements have been made for his care and support. The document must be signed by his parents and the local legal guardian, giving the legal guardian the right to act in place of a parent.

The legal guardian will provide for the student’s care and support. He is expected to perform the following duties.

  • Ongoing communication with the homestay family to make sure homestay family is fulfilling its duties
  • Ongoing communication with school to make sure that student is on the right track attendance at parent-teacher meetings
  • Ongoing communication with parents
  • Ensuring the student’s Medical Insurance coverage is in place and its premium payments are up to date
  • Ensuring the student’s Study Permit and Student Visa are up to date.