Homestay & Custodianship



Enjoy the Canadian lifestyle by living with a Canadian family in Vancouver. Homestay is a fun, safe, and affordable way to live while you attend school in Canada.

A host family provides an international student with a furnished bedroom and three meals per day. In addition, the student is expected to integrate with the family and gain the wonderful opportunity to learn about Canadian culture from the inside and to practice and improve his English language skills. Many students become close friends with their homestay families and stay in contact when the homestay ends.

Students should also understand that homestay families, especially in Vancouver, reflect the country's diverse multi-cultural background. In the rare case of a cultural or personal difficulty or misunderstanding, students do not have to cope with it alone. A Homestay Coordinator is always available to help a student deal with any problems that they might have at their new home.

To participate in our homestay program, students should inform the school at least two weeks in advance and follow the following steps:

Step 1:

Once the student receives the student visa, he/she needs to contact school immediately and submit the following documents.

  1. Homestay Application Form
  2. Homestay Application Fee of $300
  3. First month homestay fee (the fee varies from $900 to $1000 per month)

Step 2:

The school will arrange the homestay and will email information about the homestay family to the student.

Step 3:

If the student requests for an airport pickup, the host family will meet the student at the airport before going to their new home.

Apply For Homestay


guardian custodian

Under Canadian law, any BC student who is under 19 years old is a minor, someone who is not allowed to live by himself; he must be cared for by a parent or a legal guardian. The school suggests that the parents attempt to find a relative or friend to serve as a legal guardian but, if one cannot be found, Columbia Academy will help to find a suitable legal guardian.

When a minor student enters Canada, if he is not accompanied by a parent who will look after him, he will will need to give the Visa Officer a notarized document to prove that arrangements have been made for his care and support. The document must be signed by his parents and the local legal guardian, giving the legal guardian the right to act in place of a parent.

The legal guardian will provide for the student's care and support. He is expected to perform the following duties.

  • Ongoing communication with the homestay family to make sure homestay family is fulfilling its duties;
  • Ongoing communication with school to make sure that student is on the right track attendance at parent-teacher meetings;
  • Ongoing communication with parents;
  • Ensuring the student's Medical Insurance coverage is in place and its premium payments are up to date;
  • Ensuring the student's Study Permit and Student Visa are up to date.